Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Packing: diabetes style

Traveling so much for work has made me super low maintenance. I used to be that girl that had 2 suitcases too many and was always cramming on more outfit in for good measure. "What if it's raining and I don't have the perfect rain boots to match my rain poncho" type. Not really that extreme, but you know what I mean. 

Now, I literally throw what every couple "work" outfits I put together (this I actually think about) and then some makeup, pjs, and workout clothes in my suitcase and call it a day. Sort of...

Now that I have become a totally different packing personality over the span of a year, I only have one super frustration when it comes to packing.... Diabetes!!! My free spirit, hippie side just wants to be able to pack nothing and be set for the week, but realistically, I have a high maintenance disease that definitely prevents that. 

For instance, I went to live in London for a summer to study writing through NYU's journalism program. This was right before senior year of college. I literally had one suitcase of clothes, and one of infusion sets, reservoirs, alcohol swabs, insulin, glucagon kits, batteries for pump, batteries for meter, back up meter, and everything else you could possibly think of. (makes me stressed out even THINKING of that time!!) months in a foreign country! Clearly, being 20, I didn't want to let diabetes prevent me from doing what I really wanted to do, so I went, suitcases and notebooks in hand! Turned out to be an awesome trip! But I digress...

Now, I am leaving tomorrow morning for a little week-long vacation to Arizona. Granted, this is not a 3 month long stay in London, but all the precautions have to be made. I have to be insanely organized and on top of things. I've been stressed out for weeks making sure I have ordered all the correct meds, so I don't run out of anything while I am there. If I am home and carelessly forget to order one of the 10 prescriptions I have to maintain and regularly order, I can go run to the doctor's office. This on top of my insane job, travel, account managing, order taking, workout schedule, diabetes maintenance (which has gone to crap since I an stressed). 300s every-night...guilt = tired megan. 

But! Once I hit the sun and 80 degree weather tomorrow, it will all be worth it! And I am totally sleeping on the plane...

2 comments:

  1. Packing a suitcase of diabetes junk that will be emptied by the time you leave supplies you with a handy suitcase for shopping and presents to bring home though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha SO true, I came back with a full suitcase of books from London (nerd!) and also souvenirs!

    ReplyDelete