Saturday, March 5, 2011

Medical vs. emotional

A couple of days ago, I was asked to share my story on another diabetes blog. I was super flattered, so I decided to write it out. I sat down with my laptop last Saturday after the usual yoga/breakfast/caffeine combo, and about 5 hours and 10 pages later, I had written down "my story." I've been thinking about going "public" (ha, well at least online) with my story in the hopes of helping other people who are going through the same struggles.

Doctors don't tell you diabetes will rock you to your core, test your strength daily, kick your ass, make you feel like a robot, make you feel like a crazy person (mood swings with highs!), mess with your emotions, eating patterns, and interfere with your family and relationships. All they tell you is how to prick your fingers and give yourself shots. Even though I knew how to do all of the medical stuff, I would later find out that how diabetes impacts my everyday life would be the thing that required the most time and attention.

Yeah, the medical stuff was difficult, and still is when an infusion set gets messed up or caught on a door handle as you are hurrying to get out the door (ouch!), or when a roller-coaster sugar day leaves you too exhausted to go out and see your friends, or when you get a crazy low that leaves you hungry and sleepy during a time when sleepy isn't an option. You get my point, the medical stuff can be really annoying, but you deal with it. The emotional stuff, however, can be a little bit harder to deal with.

1 comment:

  1. "Doctors don't tell you diabetes will rock you to your core, test your strength daily, kick your ass, make you feel like a robot, make you feel like a crazy person (mood swings with highs!), mess with your emotions, eating patterns, and interfere with your family and relationships. All they tell you is how to prick your fingers and give yourself shots. Even though I knew how to do all of the medical stuff, I would later find out that how diabetes impacts my everyday life would be the thing that required the most time and attention."
    Love this part-how true. I am enjoying reading your blogs...I love your thoughts and ideas on the disease. you have a way with words!

    ReplyDelete